Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Memory Lane

Years ago, along with QC1, I had a crush on another of AM's university friends. I'll call her Music Friend. I may have posted about her before. We got along really well and although I was attracted to QC1 a lot more than the other friend, arguably we were a better match.

One night, while out with AM, I happened to mention that one of my favourite bands at that time, Little Angels, was coming to town. She got excited, claimed that she loved them as well and we made plans, while talking about their music. A few weeks later, when tickets went on sale, I bought us both tickets (she had given me the money on our previous night out). The gig was months away.

Sadly, in those days, bands had a real tendency to cancel or postpone gigs in my city. This was no exception. With mere weeks to go, they cancelled.

I called the friend to give her the bad news. There was no rearranged date, so I was just going to get a refund.

A few days later, AM was in touch to ask about the gig.

"It's a shame really. She was really looking forward to seeing the band." The slightest pause. "To see you."

I tried asking questions but AM deflected them. However, the implication was there, unspoken in a fraction of a second's pause. I'd never seen any evidence that AM's hint was true. While I did have my crush, I wasn't viewing the gig as anything other than a meeting of platonic friends. And afterwards, I looked for signs of interest, but found none.

No comments:

Look and likey.

So, as a big-ish coincidence, guess who popped up in my Tinder feed today? No? Well, given recent posts on Tinder non-matches, it was the We...