Monday, December 11, 2017

Sigh.

Working with KfW2 can be a PITA at times. Mostly, it's fine, but occasionally, it's frustrating. At times, this manifests itself as her losing track of time because she's engrossed in something. Ultimately, that's harmless. However, when you're actually working with her... well, that's different. There's no doubting that she's intelligent and knows her job, but her professional communication is, IMO, poor.

As one of the most experienced people in the team, she's often given research to do, or brand new things to create. She's great at picking things up quickly, but her weakness is being able to share these things, writing documentation or training around the stuff she's learned.

I was tasked with helping her a few weeks ago. I jumped at the chance because it's a project with a lot of visibility and, of course, I get to work with one of my closest friends. The downside is that she gives vague notions of what to do.

"Go off and do this technical task!"

"You're gonna need to give me more than that"

"I spent weeks researching that, it's not going to be easy to sit down and explain it all to you"

"Just send me the links and your notes on how we implement it"

*sends links*

"Where are your notes?"

"Oh, they're all up here" *taps head*

Sigh.

Or...

*email arrives to team*

"Can someone look at this issue please? Boss"

*another email arrives to team*

"Yes boss, I will have the time to look at this problem for you. KfW2"

Later...

"Have you done that yet?"

"Just started, I was side-tracked looking at this problem for another team"

"You can't do that, I need you on this 100%"

Sigh.

My initial instinct was correct - you cannot and should not work closely with your significant other. That should maybe extend to really close friends as well.

No comments:

Look and likey.

So, as a big-ish coincidence, guess who popped up in my Tinder feed today? No? Well, given recent posts on Tinder non-matches, it was the We...