Monday, October 01, 2018

Doctor, doctor, gimme the news...

I finally had my GP's appointment today. Somewhat predictably, I don't think it went very well. Most of that was because I didn't really know what I wanted to get out of it. KfW2 was hoping, I think, that my GP would give me a line to take time off work. That's not how my GP works and, to be honest, that's not really what I wanted either.

I did have a reason for going, though, after taking some health tests at work and being told that the results were not great and that some results might be stress-driven, including some physical issues.

I explained this to my GP and, surprisingly, he went off on a rant.

"What advice did they give you?"

"Advice? I got this printout with these numbers on it"

He ranted on. Then he looked at the printout. Cholesterol, blood pressure, blood sugar levels... He didn't even raise an eyebrow.

"They're slightly high, but nothing to be concerned about. You can easily rectify these with minor dietary adjustments."

He took my blood pressure. It was even lower than had been previously measured, despite the fact I'd walked to the surgery at a fairly brisk pace. Well, brisk for me.

The upshot was he suggested going back in a few months and taking some of the tests again, but he re-iterated that he wasn't that concerned with the numbers. He suggested exercise would help with the stress management and weight loss while the diet would help the figures as well as contribute to the weight loss.

I trundled off, somewhat confused and thinking I wasted his time - this was my thought - my GP had not given that impression at all.

I was halfway home when I remembered that I'd not mentioned my lack of sleep or the memory issues or the hearing issues, both of which have roots in my stress over the past 18 months. He did imply that the stress needs sorted though.

If nothing else, I can look my boss in the eye and tell him I've seen my GP about stress.

No comments:

Look and likey.

So, as a big-ish coincidence, guess who popped up in my Tinder feed today? No? Well, given recent posts on Tinder non-matches, it was the We...