Saturday, September 29, 2018

Nose-based nostalgia

Years ago, at secondary school, I was friendly with a cute girl. I had a mild crush on her, though I think most of the boys in or around her age did too - she was very pretty with an amazing figure. And, in fact, one of our core group ended up dating her for a few years. She wore a particular body spray or perfume. I don't know what it was called, or even what the scent was. I've always described it to myself as a smoky/tobacco kind of fragrance, but without any frame of reference or reason why I chose that description. I've smelt it a few times over the years (though not recently), and it always reminds me of her.

She pops up on my Facebook feed every now and again. We're Facebook friends, though we don't communicate. The friendship was never that strong, but it faded almost immediately once we left school. As I was doing some housework this morning, I tore open a packet of carpet cleaner and it smelled like that body spray... mostly. There's a scent in the mixture that says "smoky" to me. And  immediately, my mind went back to school... to the crush.

No comments:

Look and likey.

So, as a big-ish coincidence, guess who popped up in my Tinder feed today? No? Well, given recent posts on Tinder non-matches, it was the We...