Saturday, October 20, 2018

Sigh.

My dad has been closely involved with a local charity for the best part of two decades. He's often asked me to go to events, which I have done in the past, but these days, I'm finding myself more and more annoyed with his actions around the charity. He's always been frugal, but this extends to the charity.

They spend effectively no money on themselves, and it shows. All flyers, pamphlets etc. are printed at home, using knock off ink on a 5 year old printer. The written English is quite poor as well. That means that they don't give off a good impression of themselves, despite the fact that they're quite successful.

Over the two decades, they've raised tens of thousands of pounds for various causes.  I've had these conversations with the charity people about improving their image, in the best way that I can, but they don't listen (or want to listen). Spending £100 to make £1000 is better than spending nothing and making £100, but they can't see this.

The numbers are dwindling. The charity is doing nothing to engage new people. Some of the events are the same people turning up time and again, a couple of times a year. This is all papering over the cracks. My dad needs the charity to continue, for his own sanity, for something to do... but it's getting away from him I think.

No comments:

Result!

A result! My new yoga mat has already arrived! Sadly, it doesn't come with a carry bag or strap as per the picture on Amazon, but still,...