Friday, January 10, 2014

Oh dear.

The plan that KfW2 came up with in relation to on-line dating was that I would go to her house, she would cook dinner and we'd sort it all out.

Maybe I was being naive but I'd assumed that KfW2 was going to do some research. After all, the entire brief was that she was going to do my profile. I had assumed that my descriptive text would read "Hello, I'm KfW2 and you should totally meet ruuude because..." and then give her point of view.

That works for me as a female selling a male to other females makes sense, plus it's an unusual profile, which is a help. I certainly remember reading women's profiles on Match.com and Plenty of Fish that could only appeal to other women... and these descriptions weren't uncommon.

Ultimately, I did all the work. I wrote the profile and while KfW2 was there to offer encouragement of sorts, it hadn't exactly turned out as I had assumed. Now, don't ask me what I assumed KfW2 was going to do exactly... with KfW2 driving the whole thing, I'd kept a back seat and had mentioned a few times that she was in control.

Leaving her house later that night and returning home, I felt a bit deflated. It wasn't really the outcome that I had wanted, but at the same time, I'm not entirely sure I knew what I expected to happen, if that makes sense. I kinda just went along with the optimism (mine) and the excitement (KfW2's).

The time wasn't a total waste - in setting up a profile, we chatted about various things - personality traits, opinions on relationships etc. and in the couple of hours we had on our own before KfW2's husband came back, I feel she got to know me a little better. I learned a few things of my own regarding some minor concerns I've had recently about our friendship, but KfW2 was able to put my mind at rest.

I now have an active on-line dating profile, but I'm feeling apprehensive and reluctant to actually use it given my experiences last time. My general optimism from the turn of the year is still here... but I am having second thoughts about this on-line dating thing already.

No comments:

Look and likey.

So, as a big-ish coincidence, guess who popped up in my Tinder feed today? No? Well, given recent posts on Tinder non-matches, it was the We...