Tuesday, January 28, 2014

ruuude's adventures in online dating.

The thing with online dating is that it can be quite depressing. You find a cute girl and you click on her profile to see if she's got anything interesting or funny to say (cos looks are important, but they're not the only thing that matters).

"No pic, no reply"

Sigh. Listen, love, there are message settings that enable you to actually restrict people from sending you messages unless they have images on display. Use this instead of whining about it. You save yourself and the sender both time and hassle. Plus, your profile waffle doesn't then scream of condescension and superiority - we're all there to meet new people.

Also... I know all the big girls might be saying it, but if you're not actually going to display a picture yourself, then it's a bit hypocritical of you to make that bold claim above (or have it as a mail setting). Catch a grip.

"If you don't get a reply, you're just not my type".

Writing messages on the internet may be a lot easier than approaching someone in real life (trust me, it is), but that doesn't mean that any message with a bit of thought should be ignored and a little courtesy can be expected, no? If we all had a little bit of courtesy, I bet we'd all find it easier to meet someone. It's unfortunate, as a bloke, that online dating is very much a female-orientated arena, but I don't think that means we simply forget our manners.

"I'm back on here..."

The first rule of online dating is that you don't mention online dating.

"You can't handle me at my worst..." Or any motivational quote.

No. Just no.

The thing is, the stuff above is not new. I can't be bothered digging out the post or if it even exists, but I'm nearly sure these are similar complaints to when I briefly dipped my toe into the online dating world before. It should be a positive thing, but you just end up getting more and more depressed at the futility of it. If it's not the same identikit profiles (you love staying in AND going out?), it's just the negativity mentioned above.

This time, I think I'm better prepared emotionally. I'm not expecting to get any dates, so anything that comes from it can be regarded as a success and there even is an outside chance (I reckon 1% or less) that I might even get into a conversation with CB. What won't happen this time around though, is for my self-confidence to take a beating.

No comments:

Look and likey.

So, as a big-ish coincidence, guess who popped up in my Tinder feed today? No? Well, given recent posts on Tinder non-matches, it was the We...