Monday, January 20, 2014

Pondering, pondering.

I wish I could say that the online dating (with KfW2's support) was in full swing, but it's not. Out of over 700 profiles on Plenty of Fish, I saw perhaps a dozen that excited me and had cute women within my age range.

I have had three people message me, but the messages break every single rule of online dating.

"Hey"

That's it. That's the opening gambit of three different women.

In the week and a half since I have been a member, fourteen women have looked at my profile. At least, fourteen women have allowed me to see that they've viewed my profile.

I'm not going to complain or moan about that... until recently I didn't have any pictures up on that site. I guess part of me didn't want GB knowing I was doing online dating after being annoyed with her for most of last year and she has a profile that appears to be somewhat active. In fact, I didn't really want anyone knowing that I was doing online dating, mainly so I could go about it without fuss or pressure (kinda ironic since KfW2 has been busting my balls about it), but you know what I mean.

I've messaged two women, with no reply. One was very cute - I showed USHW her profile and she said that she saw CB in her profile pictures. Personally, I don't see it, but I did admit that I got a very CB-like vibe off the profile in general.

To slightly branch out, I (re)joined Match.com over the weekend and already I have had one hundred views of my profile, two messages (though I have yet to subscribe so cannot really say if they're promising), four members have marked me as a favourite.

I don't trust Match.com though - I'm sure many of those hundred views don't even originate in my country, never mind my locality, though a quick browse through the members list seems to indicate a lot more profiles that are more appealing to me, including CB, though she has not logged in for a few months according to the site.

I showed CB's profile to USHW who had already seen some pictures due to some Facebook stalking (of her own, not just mine) and she couldn't believe that CB is the same age as I am.

That started a conversation between USHW and myself about whether or not to message her. I don't believe anything would come from it and would, actually, just be another avenue with an ambiguous outcome. I would rather see if there was an opportunity to do something in the real world that should have better odds on success. To clarify, if I send a message, there's a remote possibility that she'd log in and not be able to read the message - that requires a subscription. Therefore there would be no reply and I'd be clueless if she didn't reply cos she's not interested or if she couldn't read the message to begin with.

KfW2 knows about CB, or she knows about one or two specific incidents (GB, the original New Year's Eve spotting) but nothing more. I'm wondering if I should let her know that CB has a profile on Match.com. I daresay her suggestion will be simply to send a message, and she will mistake my reluctance to do so with shyness. After all, that's the whole reason she's pushed the online dating thing - she thinks I can't talk to women.

Even without that little quandary, the two profiles are now as complete as they're going to be. I'll give it a couple of months - if nothing's started to happen by then, it won't and I'll pull the plug and let KfW2 take me out for a drink.

No comments:

Look and likey.

So, as a big-ish coincidence, guess who popped up in my Tinder feed today? No? Well, given recent posts on Tinder non-matches, it was the We...