Monday, January 13, 2014

More "oh dear".

There's not a day goes past where KfW2 doesn't ask if I've had any contact on Plenty of Fish. As it happens, two women have been in contact. Both of their opening messages were simply "Hey" and a smiley face.

I've replied, because I am polite and because it bugs me when you don't even get the courtesy of a "no thanks", but I've no intention of meeting either of them and I don't want to waste their time by giving them cause to think that I might. For the record, I haven't done either of those - after swapping a few messages, I've effectively ended the conversation.

KfW2 is giving me cause for concern though. She wants me to initiate conversations with people on the dating sites and has set me a "goal" of two people this week. My problem, as I've kinda explained above, is that unless I actually want to meet someone, I don't feel right in starting a conversation I know I'll be ending. I don't want to waste anyone's time. As well as that, if there isn't a combo of a nice profile picture and and interesting profile, then I struggle with motivation of actually sending a message.

My own experiences from online dating a few years ago have only reinforced my attitude towards this. In fact, my theory is that a bit more respect and common decency around any online dating website would greatly improve its success. While I have no qualms about dipping my toes back in, and despite some reticence (none of my pictures are on display yet), I think I can manage my expectations better this time around.

Actually sending the messages once these boxes are ticked isn't an issue. I've never had any issues in communicating with people online - I'm still in contact with R, USHW, A, F and K and my friendship with those people has been 99% online (that's because of geography, not an actual choice).

I've met KfW2's goal already - I've found a couple of cute looking, interesting women and sent initial messages. I've not had any reply as of yet, nor do I expect one (see: managing my expectations).

But now, KfW2 has slightly changed her tune. One girl who initiated contact with has a reasonably interesting profile. She's not unattractive (KfW2 thinks she's really pretty), but I'm not feeling any connection. I think that KfW2 has started hinting that I suggest meeting up with her.

KfW2 already knows that I am choosy and having gone through hundreds of profiles, you can count the number who I'd consider contacting on the fingers and thumbs of two hands.

I need to sit down and explain things to KfW2 and I've been planning to do it for the past few days, but opportunities for privacy are few and far between in work. I need to tell her (or she needs to know) that talking to people online is not my problem... my problem is twofold:

  • Meeting people that interest me romantically/sexually (I could go on and on about CB, but the reality is, she's the only one I can remember in the past few years, but I've already mentioned this and my annoyance with GB to KfW2).
  • Talking to these people (KfW2 knows all about this, hence this whole operation)

I'm going to try and get this sorted ASAP. I don't want KfW2 getting ideas about meeting these random people I'm supposedly messaging.

No comments:

Look and likey.

So, as a big-ish coincidence, guess who popped up in my Tinder feed today? No? Well, given recent posts on Tinder non-matches, it was the We...