Monday, January 21, 2013

Six degrees.

There are a few reasons why I haven't outed myself on the blog  (or at least been less coy about giving out more identifying information) and why friends, acquaintances etc. are mentioned by names I've given them here rather than their real names. The biggest one is, unsurprisingly, privacy. I've always been extremely private and while I've been very frank in some of my posts here, most of the stuff I kick around is stuff I don't feel I can talk about elsewhere. There's also the fact that I come from a community where everyone knows everyone else - to a degree.

That's already been highlighted recently with the CB thing, but there are plenty more examples. K's friend from her home town has an older brother who played sport with M. Bear in mind that there are hundreds of miles between K's home town and where I live. The wife of a guy I went to school with is close friends with friends of mine from childhood. MF once dated another childhood friend of mine (she was from a completely different town). CAB had (unbeknownst to me) dated a guy I knew from school (CAB herself had gone to a different school and lived in a different town). That's only five quick examples that I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure if I sat down and thought about it (or went through my Facebook friends list) that I could come up with plenty more examples.

But it's CAB that brings me on to the topic of the small community (or, more accurately six degrees of separation). I was having a conversation last night with USHW and CAB got mentioned and off the back of that, I went and did a little Facebook investigating. During my Facebook search, I found at least four people whose face I can remember from my time doing the online dating a few years ago. I'm actually surprised I didn't find more people I knew on the online dating thing, though I do seem to recall that E3 had a profile.

Nothing else really to say... it's something that struck me last night and it's been running around my head all day, so I thought I'd get it out there and hope that I haven't posted on the exact same subject before. I am getting deja vu about it, to be fair.

No comments:

Look and likey.

So, as a big-ish coincidence, guess who popped up in my Tinder feed today? No? Well, given recent posts on Tinder non-matches, it was the We...