Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Sigh.

For the past few years, I've been chasing a promotion in work. I've been more than open about it to my boss and his boss. In my opinion, I've done more than enough to warrant a promotion both in terms of what I have delivered and in behaviours (leading, innovations, flexibility etc.)

A year ago Stalky Guy was, IMO, given a free promotion. He didn't want it (assuming he'd have extra responsibilities), but he was talked round by our boss who made no secret of the fact he wanted to promote from within the team rather than shake up the status quo and Stalky Guy was always seen as a bit of a teacher's pet. So off he went to the easiest interview in the world, where he got the promotion and a nice little seven or eight percent pay rise.

Cut to a week or so ago. Another guy from our team left and there was a gap. My boss said he needed to fill the position, implying bringing in extra bodies. I was tempted to apply for it, just to be cheeky, but I didn't want to have a conversation with my boss to tell me I wasn't allowed to apply. Nor were there any encouraging noises from any of my bosses that applying was something they wanted like there were for Stalky Guy. Plus, I've been of the opinion that my progression has been blocked by these people. The evidence of my performance is clear and objective, so there has to be some other reason I'm overlooked (hint: two other guys in my team are favoured)

A few days ago, Stalky Guy confided in me that my boss had said he wanted me to apply for the job when they were interviewing. I was angry. If my boss had made the suggestion, I'd have gone for it. I'd not have been happy - in my mind, I shouldn't have to apply for a vacancy to get a promotion - but still, it would have been a pay-rise somewhere around what Stalky Guy got. But he said nothing.

Then today, after everyone else had left the office, my boss trundled over and asked me outright why I hadn't applied. I said everything that I've mentioned above - he'd implied he was looking for extra bodies and I took him literally, no-one said it was open to me, I'd had private 1-2-1 conversations with both him and his boss and neither of them even hinted at the job. He said he was angry/disappointed. I think that's more to do with not getting his way (I get the feeling he didn't want extra bodies, and my non-application has given him a headache he could do without) than an opportunity to promote me being wasted.

No comments:

Look and likey.

So, as a big-ish coincidence, guess who popped up in my Tinder feed today? No? Well, given recent posts on Tinder non-matches, it was the We...