Tuesday, July 02, 2019

FFS.

Today, I semi-shouted at Stalky Guy. In a meeting where we review our performance, both good and bad over the past month, he started talking about current work. I cut him short and he immediately hung up on the call, which had ended anyway.

He does this meeting hijacking thing a lot. Unrelated meetings are interrupted or book-ended for his own personal updates on his work, no matter when the last update was. In this case, he'd updated us less than an hour earlier.

I had an old team-mate who did this, forever reporting his updates to my boos at the time. I asked him (the boss) when he wanted the reports so frequently.

"Why do you ask for him to update you six times per day?"

"I don't."

"Do you want me to do that?"

"No. You make this job look easy. I know you're good at what you do and you don't need the reassurances that he does. It's not the updates for me, it's the lack of self confidence for him. That's why he reports so frequently."

And that's what I see in Stalky Guy. He's one of the boss's favourites, but he's been so mollycoddled over the years that he doesn't have the confidence in his own ability that he should have for his grade or salary.

No comments:

Look and likey.

So, as a big-ish coincidence, guess who popped up in my Tinder feed today? No? Well, given recent posts on Tinder non-matches, it was the We...