Saturday, September 20, 2008

Goals... an update.

OK, so the dating thing has kinda been in operation for a couple of weeks. As blogged before, I have three avenues to explore: a Facebook related application, a free dating site and match.com. Match.com is the one I've yet to focus on, being that it costs money, but A has written me a very good piece of descriptive text that should help a lot if/when I actually subscribe. Over the course of the past few weeks, my match.com profile has had a grand total of three views (though I don't have any pictures uploaded). I've no idea who has looked at my profile on the Facebook application as it's all rather vague and fifteen people have viewed my profile on the free site.

How has that translated to actual contact though?

Good question. Two girls have initiated contact through the Facebook application, but neither of them is sparking any interest and none of them are appearing on my list of potential contacts. Looks are important at least to generate interest... had I not thought RB was cute, I wouldn't have struck up a conversation, for example, so any potential contact has to be physically appealing to me. On the free site, I've had a message off one girl, but it's the same story as the Facebook application.

In terms of my own contact, on the Faceook application, I've "poked" six girls (as I had no witty comments to make) and actually 'spoken' to another, all without reply. I replied to one of the girls that "poked" me, only to be polite, but that's gone quiet too (though nothing was ever going to happen there).

With regards to the free site, there are fourteen potential contacts though really it's about eleven realistically as a few are outside my preferred geographical zone. I've tried to make contact with two of them, but with no reply after a week or so. Only one girl from my potential list has viewed my profile, and I've attempted contact.

Finally, there's match.com. I have a list of fourteen potentials, but without a subscription, I can't get in contact. I am thawing with regards paying for a dating site though and can see me coughing up the cash pretty soon if other avenues don't work out.

I'd not say that match.com has a "better" standard of female... certainly, if the pictures are to be believed, there are some corkers on all three "sites", but having read some third party comments, match.com has, well, I suppose the polite way to put it is more mentally stable females. match.com has potential pitfalls though. The social stigma with internet dating is getting less and less by the day and that's not really a concern of mine, but even with my own narrow search criteria, I've seen a co-worker (well, a girl that works for the same company as I do) and my friend's ex-wife's friend, and that's just from those who have put up a picture. Imagine turning up for a date with someone you know!

I think if my other goal of finding rented accommodation/house share actually comes to fruition soon that I might step up my efforts at the dating lark... it kinds just feels like a fact finding mission right now. I'm poking about but with no real interest.

No comments:

Look and likey.

So, as a big-ish coincidence, guess who popped up in my Tinder feed today? No? Well, given recent posts on Tinder non-matches, it was the We...