Sunday, September 28, 2008

Women and dating... hints and tips (that's a laugh).

Having been semi-active on a couple of sites/tools over the past few weeks in an attempt to increase my social life, it's clear to me that women don't know how to sell themselves to men.

OK, so I'm not great at selling myself to women, but at least I realise that and A kindly did my advertising for me (at least initially... I've added more to it since then). I also have plenty of female friends and I do listen to them... stuff does rub off, so I'd like to think I have an inkling of what to say. (That doesn't stop me from being useless at proper conversation, though).

So, ladies, this is for you. Take a look at your profile...

First of all, think about your target audience.

Yup... you're selling yourself to men. Not literally, of course, but you want to be interesting enough to men that they message you. This is especially true if you have a profile without a picture. Often, a picture will over-ride your profile as men (myself included) will overlook any potential flaws if there's a spark of physical attraction.

If you have a picture, put it up!

It's self explanatory, isn't it? Well, make it a nice one and, to pre-empt a later point, you don't need to be doing anything zany in it. Just a nice, normal photo of you looking good.

You say precious little in your profile.

Say more! How are people meant to be interested enough in you to message you if you only say "I'm useless at talking about myself". If you have trouble, get someone to help you, preferably a male. In fact, this is the best move you can make. We can tell others how we think we are, but it's others who see us for what we are.

You describe yourself as mad, wacky, zany or any other similar adjective.

Do not do this. Plenty of men are already convinced the entire female population is bonkers, myself included (after the recent RB debacle). We don't need reminding that any potential friend or date is mentally unhinged.

Do not include the fact that you like going to nightclubs to dance the night away.

OK, this is a personal one. I don't like dancing. I don't do it very often and even then, I have to be fairly inebriated. FA2 told me she knew I was good in bed by my moves on the dance floor. I've no idea if she was telling the truth, but if so, then it's no surprise that RB ran away because the night I danced with her, I was all left feet. So, if you list it as a hobby, I'll be concerned, but it won't be a deal breaker. If you actually specify in your profile that you just want to dance and dance and dance and dance, then I'm afraid it's unlikely I'll be in contact.

Txt spk.

Do not use this. I want an intelligent, articulate woman that I can talk to, not some vacuous bint.

Last read: Heat magazine.

If I see this mentioned, then you're also off the list. I don't mind people who are light-hearted and have fun, but there are limits to what is acceptable.

No comments:

Look and likey.

So, as a big-ish coincidence, guess who popped up in my Tinder feed today? No? Well, given recent posts on Tinder non-matches, it was the We...