Thursday, October 24, 2019

Sigh.

Yesterday, KfW2 confided in me that her boss had gotten a promotion and she was thinking about applying for his job. An interesting career choice. KfW2 had never struck me as the management type. Then came the kicker.

"I need the pay rise"

Ah. Here we go again. This was her spiel last year when she got her new job. It was less about the job and all about the money. That's fine. If you need the money, you need the money. Don't dress up the desire for more money as career progression though. I went through that recently with another guy who eventually left the company for new opportunities. New opportunities that doubled his salary. Each time I see him, he doesn't talk about work... he talks about money.

Frustratingly, both KfW2 and Money Guy have been well looked after by various managers. And yet they remain unhappy. To be fair, KfW2 was well looked after until she went off on maternity a few years back, but since her return, her crown was given to Stalky Guy. It's annoying that, apart from Money Guy, the other two don't recognise their good fortune.

I admit that there's an element of jealousy and frustration. Stalky Guy, KfW2 and Money Guy have all had opportunities handed to them which, admittedly, they've grabbed with both hands and used to their advantage. I haven't had that break. Salary-wise I could/should be 30% better off. It still wouldn't put me anywhere near what the others are earning, but it would mean a lot to me.

KfW2 was talking about the new job all day to day and implying that the job advert is being written with her in mind. The thing is, I don't see her as management material. She doesn't have the personality for it, I don't think. She feels she can't lead right now and that having the title of "manager" will give her the gravitas to make decisions. Her time keeping is flaky, she can be unreliable and she can be all over the place. I'm not sure I'd want her to be my boss. Saying that, my boss is reliable, always in the office etc. and he plays favourites, so maybe KfW2 will work out fine?

My gut says "no", but I've pledged my support.

But I kinda feel that I need something to go my way either personally or professionally. I feel really worn down, exhausted, sick of hard work being ignored. I've not really felt this way in a while, but recent things have brought this back to the surface.

No comments:

Look and likey.

So, as a big-ish coincidence, guess who popped up in my Tinder feed today? No? Well, given recent posts on Tinder non-matches, it was the We...