Friday, March 13, 2020

Sometimes I wonder.

Last year, when I was talking to one of my managers about a promotion the subject of attitude came up.

My boss suggested that attitude played a big part in getting a promotion.

"Really?" I queried. "You think it's that important?" I was reeling him in.

"Of course! You need a specific mindset do get ahead."

"So, if someone comes in, only does their job and fucks off home at 5 PM, would you say that's a good attitude?"

"I'd prefer if people didn't do that" he said. A politician's answer.

"Well, Brusque Guy does that and he seems to be very well thought of despite his obvious interpersonal skills" I offered.

"He's good at his job, " explained the manager.

"Well, yes, but we're all good at our jobs. You're talking about something that's meant to set a great employee aside from a decent one. Someone who's going to get promoted. By your own admission, Brusque Guy doesn't meet your own expectations."

Manager changed tack.

"You have to be forward thinking, positive, looking for solutions."

"So if someone is inherently negative, unwilling to change, not able to look to the future and overly cautious, then that's bad?" Manager looked uncomfortable. He knew I'd cornered him again.

"If that's the case, and I agree with you that we should be positive, forward thinking and all that, then you need to look at who's been promoted over the past few years versus who hasn't. People have looked elsewhere for opportunities because people who clearly don't fit your criteria are getting the nod."

I was referencing KfW2 (who had actually moved departments) and myself (who had applied for other jobs but not gotten them).

So fast forward to today. I snapped at Stalky Guy for being inflexible, overly cautious and making a big deal out of nothing because it involved change. It wasn't just today though. He's been repeating the same thing for the past five weeks as we've been involved in a highly visible and technical project.

No, I don't want to check this for the FIFTH FUCKING TIME. Yes, I know it has the potential to delete everything, but we've done our checks, let's just get it fucking done. Yes, I know you think this is scary - you've said this a dozen times a day for weeks.

"Do you want to...?" He leads his sentences with this. He means that he wants to do it this way.

"Do YOU want to?"

"I asked you."

"No, let's just get on with it"

"It's scary"

"You're scared of everything FFS, Stalky Guy. Let's just get this done."

And off he went in a sulk. Fucking man child. Two hours later, as I was leaving the office, he was still sulking. This man is meant to be a leader for fuck sake.

No comments:

Look and likey.

So, as a big-ish coincidence, guess who popped up in my Tinder feed today? No? Well, given recent posts on Tinder non-matches, it was the We...