Saturday, September 28, 2019

Woah.

A while ago, I shut down my previous account on Reddit and started a new one. The previous one wasn't particularly active, but it was a username I've used elsewhere on the internet and I made some personal posts that potentially could have been used to identify me. It was probably nothing (though I do have days when I am convinced KfW2 knows of this blog), but in order to play safe, I started a new one.

Reddit accounts have karma points - if you say something funny, intelligent etc. you get positive karma and if you say something offensive etc. you get karma taken away. My previous account, despite being years old, only ever had a couple of hundred points of karma on it.

A few days ago, I made a post on a thread asking a question. I replied, not in any kind of detail - a few sentences at most and went off for lunch. When I cam back, I thought something was wrong. My Reddit score was off - it had increased by a hundred points, tripling what it had been an hour earlier. As the afternoon wore on, the score just kept rising. Apparently the original question had gained some traction and was being widely read, and as such, my own reply was popular in its own right. There were lots of comments, nice comments, being left as replies.

When I woke up this morning, the activity seemed to have died down, but my score now sits at 3.5K karma points. And well over 90% of that was from yesterday alone.

It's strangely satisfying seeing the points rack up. It tells you that what you have said strikes a chord with people, but the comments were better, albeit fewer in number.

Edit: the score has risen to 5000 points!

No comments:

Look and likey.

So, as a big-ish coincidence, guess who popped up in my Tinder feed today? No? Well, given recent posts on Tinder non-matches, it was the We...