Sunday, February 10, 2019

Urgh.

Pretty much for as far back as I can remember, I've suffered from stomach issues. It's not quite acid reflux as the pain is confined to the stomach, but it is there. I've no idea what causes it, but when it strikes it can be extremely painful. I've taken to carrying around ant-acids of some kind almost all the time, so I am prepared if it strikes.

Last night, around 4 AM, I awoke with the pains. They were much more intense that I've had before. It was quite a while before I was able to get back to sleep.

I've had conversations with my GP before about it and he advised me to cut out some foods. The thing is, there is no pattern. Last night's issue was probably booze-related, but booze isn't always an issue. Same with coffee or spicy food.

I did a search for excessive acid production and this is the list:

  • Citrus fruits: Oranges, lemons, limes, grapefruit, and pineapple can cause acid build-up. 
  • Vegetables: Most vegetables fit into a low acid diet, but fried, canned, or creamed veggies should be avoided. Some people find that onions and tomato-based products bother them.
  • Dairy products: Whole milk, high-fat creams, chocolate milk, and strongly flavored cheeses should be avoided. 
  • Grains: Any grains that are made with whole milk or cream.
  • Meats: High-fat meats, cold cuts, chicken wings, sausage, bacon, poultry skin, and fried or greasy meats. 
  • Beverages: Alcohol, coffee, mint tea, hot cocoa, and other caffeinated beverages
  • Spicy foods: Hot peppers, curry, garlic, and salsa are some examples.
  • Fiber: Too much fiber can cause acid production to go into overdrive since it takes a long time for the food to pass through the stomach.
  • Ulcers or cancers: Either of these can lead to an increase in the production of the hormone gastrin, which increases acid production.
  • Stress: Research shows people who are severely stressed produce more acid in their stomachs.
  • Infection: Bacterial infection by the bacterium H. pylori can also increase acid production.
  • Irregular meals: Not having meals at a regular time or having long gaps between meals can result in acid accumulation.
  • Lack of sleep: This can also increase acid production in some individuals
My diet is pretty varied, so I eat a lot of stuff including lots on that list, though as I said, there's no real pattern that I can see between my diet and a flare up of the tummy issues.

Still, I've been pretty tired all day. A good night's sleep awaits me tonight.

No comments:

Look and likey.

So, as a big-ish coincidence, guess who popped up in my Tinder feed today? No? Well, given recent posts on Tinder non-matches, it was the We...