Monday, April 16, 2018

Courage - a lack thereof.

A while ago - maybe a month or so - USHW informed me of a speed dating night in my city for my age group. I'd accompanied GM to one last summer, to get the lay of the land as I was interested in going to one myself. It certainly seemed better than online dating as I could at least talk to people. Conversations on the likes of Tinder or Plenty of Fish are few and far between.

Since last summer, there have only been two others for my age range - one when I was on holiday and one when we had our work Christmas party.

This time, though, there was plenty of warning, but I didn't want to go on my own. My ability to meet people is poor - a major factor in my perennial single status. I'm shy. I get nervous and anxious when meeting new people, even under good conditions. I also get anxious when I do something new... like speed dating.

I spoke with GM, who both advised me to attend and also volunteered to accompany me (though not actually attend himself as he's still dating SG).

I went to the registration page, but the anxiety returned in spades. Over the next few days, I meant to return, to register, but it slipped my mind, even with GM sending the occasional reminder.

I decided late last night that I wouldn't go this time around. I'm hugely disappointed in myself, that I couldn't summon the courage to sign up. I do want to go. I do want to meet new people. I would like, eventually, to meet someone for something that's not platonic.

No comments:

Look and likey.

So, as a big-ish coincidence, guess who popped up in my Tinder feed today? No? Well, given recent posts on Tinder non-matches, it was the We...