Sunday, July 08, 2007

An interesting conversation

I made a post last night that I really shouldn't have. No point on going looking for it... it's been deleted. It wasn't that terrible or scandalous, but I wasn't expressing myself too well and I didn't like it, so it went.

Anyway, I was out last night with my brother-in-law for a few drinks and we bumped into a good friend of his (top lad, actually) who was out with his “new” girlfriend (as we knew it... their relationship is about six months old). The girlfriend is stunning and right up my street: good looking, brunette, great smile, good figure, great sense of humour, (very) easy to talk to... a lot of boxes were ticked.

While my brother-in-law and his mate were off at the bar/toilet/whatever (having a blokes' chat about the girlfriend, unsurprisingly), I had a chance to chat with the girlfriend. Somehow, we ended up talking about my relationship status. Usually, it's something I don't like talking about, but I felt completely at ease with this girl and within a very short period of time she knew practically everything I've posted here regarding my feelings toward my relationship status. I told her that most of the time I'm happily single but that every now and again it was something that annoyed me and that I was probably entering a stage where it was pissing me off. She found out that I had considered online dating, but never committed myself because there was a distinct lack of potential dates on the sites I'd checked out (and she found out I was extremely picky from my brother-in-law). She heard my frustrations about my lack of social life (mates with kids/mortgages/marriages etc.) and how that translated into less opportunities to get out and meet people, which she agreed with totally and said she had found the same thing with her friends, even though she is quite a bit younger than I am (about 8 years). There was playful talk about getting set up with her (high maintenance) friends, but I think that was just pub talk. It was nice (and strange) to actually say all of that out loud, because it's not something I usually talk about. My sister's heard bits of it, but she's just like “well, go out and meet someone”, so finding someone that could relate to what I was moaning about, agree with some/all of the points I was making and even sympathise/empathise with me was most refreshing.

After meeting her though, I am in one of those moods again where being single is pissing me off. It's partly because she is exactly the sort of person I'd like to meet myself and partly because it's just getting to that time again. Even the Sarah Silverman girl from work was quizzing me on Friday about my relationship status, and when I end up in conversations about my single life, I usually get pissed off.

No comments:

Look and likey.

So, as a big-ish coincidence, guess who popped up in my Tinder feed today? No? Well, given recent posts on Tinder non-matches, it was the We...