Tuesday, April 04, 2017

Grrr... (Part 2)

Following on from this post, things took an interesting turn when my manager, in case you didn't know is 4500 miles away, asked for a quick chat.

The quick chat was effectively him criticising me for ten minutes, for pretty much no reason. My results speak for themselves. What appears to be the problem is that I'm not doing things the way my manage wants me (and possibly others) to do them. It's hard to say... there weren't many actual examples given of this so-called bad behaviour. But he's micro-managing and in a bad way.

Having effectively managed ourselves for the past two years, we just get on with things. We don't stop every five minutes to update people on our progress. We don't leave at night until things that need done, are done. However, there's never any recognition of good work/practices, but you will be crucified (not literally) if the tiniest thing goes wrong.

This is concerning. There was trouble brewing (again, an over-reaction) from senior management about a non-perfect (but not disastrous) software release recently. A complete over-reaction. The rumours are that one of the managers is on the warpath and looking for blood as a result.

I get the feeling that I am being set up to be the fall guy, even though none of the non-optimal projects were mine. My manager seems to be making this personal. One of the examples he gave me relating to something that happened a few weeks ago (the same night that the events of this post happened) was factually incorrect. This leads me to believe that he's got some irrational dislike for me, and is retro-fitting his criticism to suit.

I've spoken to one of the local managers about it, but I've got the feeling things will get worse.

No comments:

Look and likey.

So, as a big-ish coincidence, guess who popped up in my Tinder feed today? No? Well, given recent posts on Tinder non-matches, it was the We...