Sunday, October 29, 2023

...

A few months ago, after a short stay in the hospital, FP passed away. He'd been ill for around a year if I understand things correctly. It was a serious illness that was going to have a significant impact on his life expectancy, even without any complications. He had shared the news with me at the start of the year, but he'd played down the risks. I don't want to explain in any more detail than that. It was rare. Rare enough that he could potentially be identified if I said any more.

Anyway, he was admitted to the hospital for something unrelated. While they were able to treat and fix the issues, complications arose, and he never recovered. He was effectively in a medically induced coma for nearly a month but showed no signs of actual recovery.

His passing isn't the first that I've had to deal with during the lifetime of this blog, but it's up there with the most impactful. He was one of my closest friends (with KfW2 being the other), one of the very few people that I could trust, and who would be a sounding board for me. Before he was ill, we'd be in contact several times a week and see each other in person at least once a month.

Years ago, when I introduced FP to KfW2, she was astounded that we could almost predict what the other was going to say to the very word. He was more than a friend; FP was family.

KfW2 has been a star, you'll probably be unsurprised to hear. She has a big heart, and it's one of the reasons I consider her to be one of my closest and best friends and love her dearly. She keeps asking me if I'm OK. I am... mainly... but it's not been smooth sailing.

The funeral was tough. However, KfW2, AM, QC1, G, M and BR were all, in attendance, so it was comforting having those people around me. It was also comforting seeing how many lives he's touched, how many people attended the funeral and the number of stories told over drinks afterwards.

Both AM and QC1, separately, promised that they'd be in touch about meeting for dinner or drinks. I'd love it if they did follow up on that. I can't say that I'm optimistic though.

Even now, I find myself reaching for my phone to give him a call or send him a text message about football or just something silly. Nearly every day brings a Facebook memory where FP is an actual participant in shenanigans or has left a comment.

Old school friends have been in touch, which in turn makes me miss him more because some of the people who've been in touch would have been worth reporting to FP simply because of who they are or the news they've shared.

I also feel a little guilty. I should have been in touch with his widow, but with the work stuff that's gone on over the same period, I've not really had the energy to contemplate it. We also don't really have a relationship. FP's wife always kept herself away, despite being invited out to the pub or for coffee and other social events, but I think that's a story for another time.

No comments:

Look and likey.

So, as a big-ish coincidence, guess who popped up in my Tinder feed today? No? Well, given recent posts on Tinder non-matches, it was the We...