Thursday, February 18, 2016

Work funk.

Life at work has been frustrating over the past few weeks. Most of it stems from my dislike of hypocrisy. I really hate being told one thing only for whomever to mean something completely different. That doesn't change when you're talking about something like a set of processes in work rather than a person.

So, for my end of year performance, I think I've been really underscored. All the things I was told were important and that I've been building towards for a few years now have been ignored in favour of, I believe, something completely different.

Part of the problem is that our goals are not really that defined. There's nothing measurable there, so it's all subjective and reliant on interpretation. Verbally and written, my feedback is excellent, but when it comes to turning it into the all-important percentage mark, it doesn't add up to me, especially when compared to the guys working beside me.

I have a meeting with a manager to talk about it in the next week or so, but I'm not hopeful. I suspect me manager will be defensive of the company and possibly confrontational at my criticism of the HR policies that have lead me to being a) under-scored (in my opinion) and b) under-paid (subjective perhaps, but not according to the local market in my professional area).

There have been a few decisions like this over the past few weeks. Several (repeated) concerns and queries over decisions made in the office have not been followed up on, only for subsequent decisions and statements to show that my concerns were a) founded and b) ignored.

While the tone of this post may suggest something serious, it's not really. This is just a lot of small things that have built up over the past eighteen months or so, though they're all kinda the same thing - the feeling that I am not being listened to. Without wanting to sound arrogant or blow my own trumpet, I tend to be correct. I fully expect to be vindicated on the concerns I've raised recently, probably within a few months. No-one ever seems to learn to listen though.

No comments:

Result!

A result! My new yoga mat has already arrived! Sadly, it doesn't come with a carry bag or strap as per the picture on Amazon, but still,...