Sunday, May 06, 2007

Fitness

Well, the football match has come and gone and my leg, as pessimistically expected, didn't last the course of the game.

I've never been injury prone and having played all sorts of sports regularly and semi-regularly over the last twenty years (post-puberty), injury is not something I've had to deal with. I think, once, I overstretched my groin muscle, but that was rested for a few weeks and has never troubled me again.

Since September when I started playing football with the guys in work, this hamstring issue has been a recurring problem. No matter how much I spend warming up or how much stretching I do, the hamstring invariably tightens at some point and it's rare that I can get through two games in a row (weekly) before doing the injury again.

I'm not entirely sure if I've "pulled" it in the proper sense of the word. There's a little bit of pain initially, but it's mostly a discomfort thing and I end up just going into goals or something to protect it. I'm going to see the doctor on Tuesday to see if he can offer any advice. I'm not sure there's much he can do beyond recommending me for physiotherapy, but at least my private health insurance through work means I should be able to get it sorted fairly quickly.

It would be nice to be injury free again so I can continue playing football, but I also want to get back to the gym too.

No comments:

Result!

A result! My new yoga mat has already arrived! Sadly, it doesn't come with a carry bag or strap as per the picture on Amazon, but still,...