Sunday, March 26, 2017

Pondering.

My family have never really been close. I don't recall my parents ever spending a lot of time with me or my sister as kids. Things like football and the usual childhood pastimes went by with little involvement from my parents. There was no real involvement. My dad rarely turned up to watch me play football for any team I represented. In fact, my participation in things like that was pretty much always as a result of encouragement from my friends, who gave me the belief that I was good enough to put myself forward for things like that.

So, things like Mother's or Father's Day pass me by. It's not that I'm not grateful to my parents or that I don't love them, but it's not high up in my priorities as something I feel the need to celebrate.

And Facebook is a shocking "competition" today to see who can post the most cloying Mother's Day message. It's now expanding to include sisters, aunts etc.

Maybe it's just me. Some things are meant to be personal. If you have to celebrate, celebrate YOUR mother. The same things apply to anniversaries. They're YOUR anniversaries. Why celebrate other people's? Or expect other people to celebrate yours?

That sounds like I'm annoyed. I'm not. I just don't understand making a fuss outside of your family for things that I believe are personal.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Agreed!

Look and likey.

So, as a big-ish coincidence, guess who popped up in my Tinder feed today? No? Well, given recent posts on Tinder non-matches, it was the We...