Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Questions, questions.

I had an interesting conversation with DSC tonight about my online dating experience. She made an observation that, in her opinion, I was targeting women that she thought were all stunning and out of my league. I disagreed. There were some stunningly attractive women in my list, but I also sent messages to "less attractive" women who had more interesting profiles too. All the women messaged had a combination of interesting profile and a good picture. Some profiles were poor, but the pictures were great and vice versa. Very few, in my own opinion, were out of my league.

I pointed out Date No. 1 to DSC a few nights ago, as an example, and DSC thought she was out of my league, but Date No. 1 made the contact there. At the same time, DSC pointed out a woman she thought looked perfect for me. A woman that I thought was very reminiscent of NM from a month or so ago. My argument was that I considered Date No. 1 and NM to be of comparable prettiness on my own personal scale, so how one was out of my league and the other was "perfect" was a mystery to me.

DSC then switched tack and said that Date No. 1 was too young for me while the NM-like person was around my own age. Date No. 1 was/is five years my junior, but that put her at the lower end of the age range that I would find acceptable in dating. I had messaged younger while on PoF, but really I was just expanding my target group to maximise potential replies. The amount of women in my target age group that matched my criteria was very few.

While I like DSC to be forthright, I don't think her criticism in this case is valid. I don't know if she will have changed her mind with the extra information I gave her, but it has caused me to think about who I might have missed with my targeting of women that I though were attractive. It's important to me to have that spark of attraction, so why would I message women that weren't giving me that vibe? Was I sabotaging myself by picking women that are construed to be out of my league? Admittedly, I wouldn't have chatted up some of the PoF girls in the bar if I were out, but there have been a few that I consider to be as pretty as Date No. 1/NM with decent results.

I don't know. I'll have to give this a ponder.

No comments:

Look and likey.

So, as a big-ish coincidence, guess who popped up in my Tinder feed today? No? Well, given recent posts on Tinder non-matches, it was the We...